…or, how to keep your neighbors happy and hopefully they will keep you happy too. :)
There’s a lot of guides out there for Frontierville, but not many of them about what to gift people. I’ve also read some place that “gifts that give energy is always welcome” and “you don’t really need more than 15 ribbons” which is really just total misinformation (or completely outdated information, depending on how you look at it.) Here’s the basic rule of frontierville gifting:
Give things that your neighbors cannot BUY in the marketplace.
That’s it! This includes:
Building Materials (330)
To build ONE of each of the buildings in Frontierville, you will need 66 of EACH building material. That’s 66 Bricks, 66 Nails, 66 Hand Drills, 66 Buckets of Paint, and 66 Hammers. That’s 330 gifts of just building material in order to finish all the quests in the game. So if your neighbor’s wishlist is empty, send them a random building material. If your neighbour’s wishlist is full of collectibles that you don’t have, send them a building material. In other words – when in doubt, send building material! Even if your neighbour already built everything, who knows when Zynga will add another building and ask for 50 of each material for it?
School Materials (255)
Once the schoolhouse has been built, your neighbors will want to complete lessons offered at the school. These are very demanding – to complete all of them you will need 51 of each of the following: Chalk, Slate, Ink Pen, Ink Well, and Spitball. 255 Gifts. However, don’t send these unless you see at least 1 of these on their wishlist. Great to plan ahead and all, but if s/he is still building a school house, s/he will probably appreciate some building materials more.
You will only need a scant few ribbons before the school house is built, but once it is built, you will be needing a lot of them. 92 to be exact. If you see ribbons on your neighbour’s wishlist, send it as a priority.
Collectibles (Only when it’s on your neighbour’s wishlist)
Nobody wants an extra 10 poultry puddin’.
Really. Nobody does! We already have over 60 from trying to get eggs! Send collectibles if you have extra, off the “My Neighbors” tab. This way you will know for sure that your neighbour needs the collectible you’re sending. If you have something very rare, send a message ahead to see if they want to trade.
Other rules of etiquette:
- Don’t send food unless your neighbour asks for it as a request
- Don’t send decorations, animals, trees, etc unless the person you’re sending to specifically asked for them. Stick to the list.
- Click on your neighbor’s “wanted material” links – they cost you nothing, and you can click on 50 of them a day.
- You CAN send out more than 30 free gifts a day, just not more than 30 per session, so just go back to the free gifts page, choose a gft, and pick more neighbors.
- Mystery gifts are only good for high level players who has plenty of everything else – i.e. if they don’t have ribbon, school material, or building material on their wishlist. (Also useful in the case where someone is desperately seeking a hard to find collectible – like a welcome mat.)
- If you see something strange on a newbie’s wishlist – like planks, fire, or even cloth, send them a message to let them know how to get those things. It’s not immediately obvious that clicking on a building allows you to craft things.
Now onto the tips:
If you’re a fast typist, make a list in notepad of all the people who wants the same thing. If there are 15 people in your list who wants ribbons, then you can just send them out all at once. Let’s say you pick a brick, then start typing in the text box to filter out the names. Once a name comes up, hit TAB > SPACE > Shift-TAB and keep typing. You can easily go through the entire gift list for 4 different gifts in less than 5 minutes.
If you find clicking on your neighbor’s wish links to be a bit tedious, start utilizing your middle mouse button (or CTRL-tap on a laptop) to open them in new tabs. Go down your news page, always sorting “most recent” and middle click all the wanted and give away links. Then go through the pages from the last one up and click on yes and hit CTRL-W to close the tab. You don’t need to load up the game for it to take effect. Click-close click-close click-close. You get EXP and free food from their other links, so click on their wish links!