- If you don’t like how the beds are all colored purple (or any given color repeated too many times) in the beginning, just hit ESC and hit restart day. The bed colors are randomized, and so are the patients.
- Don’t be obssessive about color matching; just keep all your beds filled at all times.
- Do be obssessive about chaining actions together. Chaining bonuses work up to x5.
- Before you start each level, check out the numbers of the beds and keep in mind which ones can be served together.
- In the levels where virus outbreaks are rampant, it may be prudent to hold the spray in one hand at all times and just work with the other. You don’t need to click on a bug to spray it – you just have to walk by it.
- Celebrities pay more, but they also demand more.
- Don’t click on the crazy monkey – just plan your paths to walk by it.
- Listen for the sound of breaking beds, and repair them RIGHT AWAY.
- Strive for expert all the time – you need all the extra cash you can get.
- Click on the band whenever they light up.
- Use your perks! They’re free!
August 15, 2007
August 3, 2007
Read the general hints in your help menu! After that, read this:
- When you take in babies, count them. You want at least 4 babies who are of the following types: ghost, dragon, or cyclops. As soon as you have 4 of those, ignore the door. Tend to them religiously and you shouldn’t have any problems getting 5x purple halos for those 4 kids.
- If you don’t get the kids you want, you can always “save and exit” and “play” again. The kids are randomized.
- Keep a diaper on hand at all times and always change on “on the spot” instead of carrying them to the change station. If you must go to the change station, change and get an extra at the same time.
- At the beginning of each chapter, familiarize yourself by running from one spot to another. Sometimes even though things look like they’re close together, they’re not. In some levels the hotspot (where Molly stands when she drops off the baby) for the mat is above, and some is below. Find out before you start picking up kids.
- Prioritize the buying of items that shortens feed / sleep / play times. The extra chair / crib / play areas aren’t necessary if you master the art of swapping babies.
- Swap your babies! Don’t move them unless they need something or another baby needs their spot.
- Once you have the nanny you can handle 5 kids, since you can just leave one with the nanny unless there’s a need to change the diaper.
- Break up fights immediately – boo boos take as long as diapers.
June 30, 2007
- Symbols – How to solve Sodoku. If you’re still stuck, here’s a Sodoku Solver. Just swap the symbols for numbers.
- Squares – Dots and boxes. The logic is simple – keep drawing lines to NOT make 3-sided squares, and keep going until the computer makes a mistake. If you’re forced to do this before the computer, choose an area where it can’t make that many combos.
- Matchsticks – classic matchstick puzzles. My continually updated Matchstick puzzles videos.
- The Shapes – Chinese Tangrams. It’s kind of hard to lose since the game changes the color of the tile when it’s in the right place.
- The Towers – Hanoi tower. Hanoi Tower solver. Just let it know how many rings are in there, and it solves it for you.
- Sequences – Figure out the next symbol in sequence.
black moon – white moon – white square – (black square)
- Pawns – English peg solitaire. You can find the solution right here.
- Pipes – pipe dream, but you have to close off all the exits of the pipes, and the ooze doesn’t chase you. Working from entrance to exit and figure out the branches along the way is the best solution. Remember, eliminate the impossible.
- Chemicals – Mastermind. Once you know the concept it’s pretty simple.
You can find my graphical walkthrough for the story puzzles here.
June 21, 2007
- Do two things at a time, and don’t try to go for four, especially in the later levels. Two burgers, two baskets of fries, two shakes.
- If there are common ingredients, try your best to use them at the same time to avoid moving your mouse too many times.
- If you don’t have anything on a platter yet, you won’t lose any money losing a customer. Just give that plain hamburger a slice of cheese to get rid of it if you don’t want to spend time grilling for $3.
- Use dead-time wisely. That’s why I say work on two things at a time – while you’re blending the first two shakes, you can add milk and ice cream to the second pair.
And if you’re really, really, really stuck, you can always cheat.
Open up Notepad. Go to File > Open > and navigate to the folder where you installed Burger Island. Chances are, it’s in c:\program files\burger island or something similar. Once you’re there, look for the “config” folder, and find the file “levels.xml.” Open that file up in Notepad.
Now, each level is formatted like this. You’re concerned with <id></id>, <money></money>, and <duration></duration>. You can safely ignore the rest of the data.
The <id> tag contains the level #, which is presented in the bottom of your screen when you’re playing the level. <money> is the amount of money you need to finish your level, and duration is the number of seconds you have to finish the level. Just find the section of the file where the level you’re stuck at is, change one of the values to something more reasonable, so to speak, save the file, then load up the game.
June 12, 2007
A request. (Go ahead and send them my way if it’s not listed in my hints section.)
May 22, 2007
- The most asked, and LEAST answered question. Where the heck does the fishing dock go? It goes in the ocean – right next to your original shipwreck.
- Try to avoid playing the mini-games in the beginning. If you have too much resources, nobody will work.
- Build food storage, a well, and huts on EVERY screen. If your castaway doesn’t see it, he doesn’t use it. Eventually he’ll get so unhappy that he’ll leave your tribe.
- X marks the spot, but the spot often contain next to nothing. Unless you’re missing a radio part from digging, save your energy for other uses.
- You can select the next castaway using your keyboard’s left and right buttons.
- Turn auto-pause off and you can do other things while they’re gathering 5000 pieces of food or wood.
- Check on your castaways often (by hidding the arrow keys) to make sure nobody’s head is hanging. That’s their way of saying “I’m beat.”
May 20, 2007
May 19, 2007
May 18, 2007
Leave a Comment
May 17, 2007
Leave a Comment